When it comes to commercial spaces, landscaping plays a crucial role in creating inviting and aesthetically pleasing environments. As businesses strive to leave a lasting impression on clients and employees alike, keeping up with the latest landscaping trends is important.
In 2023, several exciting and innovative trends are constantly emerging in the world of commercial landscaping. From biophilic elements to sustainable designs, these trends are focused on not only enhancing outdoor spaces but also promoting wellness and creating memorable experiences.
This blog explores the top commercial landscaping trends of 2023 and how they can transform your business’s outdoor areas.
1. Sustainability and Eco-Friendly Practices
With an increasing emphasis on sustainability, businesses are prioritizing eco-friendly landscaping practices. This includes installing efficient irrigation systems, incorporating native plants, utilizing recycled materials, and implementing green infrastructure such as bioswales and rain gardens.
These practices reduce environmental impact, contribute to a positive brand image, and demonstrate a commitment to sustainability.
2. Biophilic Design
Biophilic design, which incorporates elements of nature into built environments, is gaining popularity in commercial landscaping. Integrating natural elements like living walls, water features, and green roofs enhances aesthetics and promotes health and well-being.
Biophilic design has been shown to improve air quality, reduce stress, and increase productivity, making it an attractive choice for businesses seeking to create harmonious and inspiring outdoor spaces.
3. Outdoor Gathering Spaces
Recognizing the value of outdoor spaces for employee well-being and customer satisfaction, businesses are incorporating more outdoor gathering areas. These spaces may include shaded areas, comfortable seating, and amenities like outdoor kitchens or fire pits.
By providing inviting outdoor environments, businesses can create opportunities for relaxation, collaboration, and socialization, improving overall employee satisfaction and attracting visitors and potential customers.
4. Smart Landscaping
Advancements in technology have also extended to commercial landscaping with the rise of smart landscaping systems. These systems utilize weather monitoring, sensors, and automated irrigation to optimize water usage and ensure efficient plant care. Smart lighting and irrigation controls also allow businesses to save energy and reduce costs while maintaining beautiful landscapes.
5. Vertical Gardens and Living Walls
Vertical gardens and living walls are gaining popularity in commercial landscaping due to their ability to maximize green space in limited areas. These innovative features increase aesthetic appeal and offer benefits such as improved air quality, noise reduction, and temperature regulation.
Vertical gardens and living walls can transform bare walls into attractive, vibrant displays, creating visually stunning focal points for businesses.
6. Outdoor Workspaces
As remote work and flexible office arrangements become more common, businesses are adapting their landscapes to accommodate outdoor workspaces. Providing shade structures, comfortable seating, and access to power outlets allows employees to work outdoors while enjoying the benefits of fresh air and nature.
Outdoor workspaces can enhance productivity, creativity, and employee satisfaction, creating a desirable and unique work environment.
7. Drought-Tolerant Landscaping
Water scarcity and the need for conservation have led to an increased focus on drought-tolerant landscaping. Businesses are choosing native species, low-water-use plants, and xeriscaping techniques to create aesthetically appealing landscapes that require minimal irrigation.
Drought-tolerant landscaping not only helps conserve water but also reduces maintenance costs and contributes to the overall sustainability of commercial properties.
8. Artistic and Sculptural Elements
Incorporating artistic and sculptural elements in commercial landscapes adds a touch of creativity and uniqueness. Sculptures, custom-designed structures, and installations can create memorable experiences for visitors while serving as focal points. These artistic elements can reflect a business’s branding or values, making a lasting impression on clients and customers.
Other Commercial Landscaping Trends
In addition to the landscaping trends mentioned above, businesses can also opt for the following trends to enhance their space:
- Water Features:Water features such as ponds, fountains, and waterfalls are becoming popular in commercial landscapes. They mask noise, add a sense of tranquility, and provide a visually appealing focal point.
- Green Roofs and Rooftop Gardens:Utilizing the space on rooftops has gained more popularity in the past decade. Green roofs and rooftop gardens offer numerous benefits, including reduced stormwater runoff, improved energy efficiency, and increased biodiversity.
- Outdoor Fitness Areas:To promote employee health and wellness, businesses are incorporating outdoor fitness areas. These areas may include fitness equipment, walking paths, and yoga or meditation spaces.
- Seasonal Planting:Businesses are also embracing seasonal planting, which utilizes plants and flowers that change with the seasons to create dynamic and ever-changing landscapes. This adds interest and variety throughout the year.
- Sustainable Irrigation Systems:Water conservation should always be a priority, and businesses should implement efficient irrigation systems that use drip irrigation, smart controllers, and rainwater harvesting to minimize water waste.
- Accessibility and Inclusivity:Businesses are focusing on creating accessible and inclusive outdoor spaces, incorporating features such as ramps, handrails, and sensory gardens to cater to individuals with diverse abilities.
- Urban Farming and Edible Landscapes: Incorporating urban farming and edible landscapes into commercial properties allows businesses to grow their own food, promote sustainability, and provide fresh produce for employees or customers.
- Lighting Design:Thoughtful lighting design enhances the ambiance and safety of outdoor spaces. Businesses are using energy-efficient lighting options, such as LED lights, to illuminate pathways, highlight landscape features, and create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Permeable Surfaces:To combat stormwater runoff and promote water infiltration, businesses are opting for permeable surfaces such as permeable pavers or gravel. These surfaces allow rainwater to seep into the ground, reducing erosion and the burden on stormwater systems.
- Environmental Education Spaces: Commercial landscapes are incorporating spaces for environmental education and awareness, such as interpretive signage, interactive displays, and educational gardens. These spaces promote environmental stewardship and engage visitors in learning about sustainable practices.
- Biodegradable and Sustainable Materials: From planters and furniture to hardscape elements, businesses are opting for biodegradable and sustainable materials to reduce their environmental footprint and promote eco-consciousness.
By incorporating these trends, businesses can enhance their brand image, improve employee satisfaction, attract customers, and contribute to a healthier and more sustainable future. Stay ahead of the curve by embracing these commercial landscaping trends and transforming your outdoor spaces into vibrant and captivating areas that leave a lasting impression.
Let Facilities USA Handle All Your Landscaping Needs
From indoor and rooftop gardens to outdoor topiaries, Facilities USA can handle all your landscaping needs. We’re a top-rated commercial waste recycling service in the US that provides a wide range of services, including landscaping and interior plant care, HVAC maintenance and repair, waste disposal, electrical and plumbing services, commercial recycling, and more.
Our team will ensure that your establishment is visually appealing and well-maintained, and at par with the latest landscaping trends. Reach out to our seasoned professionals now for more information about our services and services area.